Design Engineer | Powertrain | PWT
Connect 4 are working with a company that has recently won prestigious projects in the automotive sector, including an £80million project in the North West.
Because of the growth of the business they are seeking a highly skilled and motivated Powertrain Design Engineer who will be responsible for the 3D tooling design (SolidWorks 2014) for a variety of applications including Automotive Powertrain assembly & special purpose automation equipment.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for driving and understanding customer specifications both corporate and plant and applies standards for use in all aspects of solutions / applications. Works with Technical & Design Leader to ensure appropriate technical solution is selected.
- Responsible for technical solution meeting customer quality and volume requirements. To validate process feasibility and support confirmation of cycle time target achievement.
- To provide design evidence of tooling feasibility. To consistently identify potential assembly problems and production constraints by analysis and simulation.
- To develop innovative solutions for creating, optimizing tooling cells including process.
- To work effectively in a multi-disciplined environment, providing design input at concept, definition and detail stage.
- Ability to review & document issues and implement effective solutions.
- To deliver high quality design to demanding timescales.
- To support on-site build wherever and however necessary.
- Review current technology and investigate / develop “new “solutions.
- Responsible for working with customer to finalize solution requirements, reviews and approvals throughout simulation phase.
- Work on tooling design to provide support / interface for Safety Risk Assessment, PFMEA, MFMEA and documentation delivery.
- Work with the Project team to ensure cross functional communication is taking place when there is a “process change” that affects engineering and/or other departments.
- Work with the Technical Leader & Design Leader to track and report project status. Plan and report as a minimum on a weekly basis to Technical Leader.
- Work with the Project team during concept & 3D design phases to create long lead and project timelines for simulation design tasks from critical project milestones provided by project management.
- Work with Project team on build, integration and commissioning plan.
- Powertrain Design Experience and working knowledge
- Considerable experience (minimum 5 years) within the automotive industry
- Ability to design automation tooling for the automotive sector including but not limited to; assembly jigs & fixtures, robot end effectors, part transfer systems, conveyor tooling, press / insertion tooling.
- Considerable experience with SolidWorks 2014
- Good working knowledge of other CAE programs including AutoCAD, Teamcenter Visualization Mockup, etc.
- Excellent computer knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office
- Ability to work in multicultural environment and willingness to travel.
- Degree in Engineering or Mechanical Design will be an advantage
- Strong knowledge of tool process and model creation
- Knowledge of Jaguar Land Rover’s specifications, working practices and procedures
- Ability to manage and lead a team of engineers
- Ability to work on own initiative and take responsibility for decisions
- Good organizational and planning skills; ability to delegate tasks and reassign work as required
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Experience of using PLM system
Rate: £25 – 35ph